WORLD UNIVERSITY SERVICE OF CANADA
Position title : Sr. Program Officer/ Program Manager (according to experience)
Position location : Ottawa
Reports to : Director of Programs
Contract term : 2 years with possibility of renewal
Application deadline : January 29th, 2017
Nature and Scope :
WUSC is seeking experienced, dynamic individuals to join its Programs Team. Specific initiatives will be assigned to the individual, based on the project portfolio needs and the best fit with the skills and experience of the successful candidates. The core responsibility of the SPO/ PM is to provide leadership in the management of development initiatives and overseas operations. The SPO/PM will also contribute to other initiatives and program development efforts that help advance WUSC’s strategic framework of education, employment and empowerment of young people.
1. Program Management
Planning & Coordination
- Provide support to project teams on the technical direction and implementation of projects including preparation of Initiative Inception Plans and Annual Workplans ;
- Identify and facilitate the provision of technical resources and materials based on WUSC’s best practices to field staff and partners, as required ;
- Effectively manage relationship with consortium partners, including MOUs, convening the consortium management committee and day-to-day operations ;
- Maintain open and effective communications with donors ;
- Act as a coordinator with various functional units within WUSC’s HQ (eg. communications, IT, volunteer mobilization and human resources, etc.) ;
- Oversee logistics for project personnel, (volunteers, consultants) missions to and from the field
- Ensure WUSC’s Gender Equality Policy is applied and support gender mainstreaming in projects, including development of project-specific gender strategies and providing coaching to staff in gender equality.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In conjunction with the M&E Advisor, provide technical guidance for M&E to the project teams ;
- Ensure program technical reports, capturing results and lessons learned, are submitted to donors in a timely manner ;
- Capture project and country-level results and lessons learned and share those within WUSC’s Global Results Framework and internal knowledge management system ;
- Oversee the management of project document library, ensuring that accurate and complete program systems, records and files are maintained.
- Exercise budget control and manage project procurement and expenses in accordance with contractual obligations and in consultation with the Financial Analyst, the Project Director/Country Director ;
- Work with the Financial Analyst assigned to the project to monitor budgets, prepare financial reports and provide financial analysis ;
- Resolve any contractual and/or budget issues with the donor, including providing any updates, requests for approval and supporting the documentation of such requirements.
2. Country Office Support
- Assist designated country teams with the development of country-program strategies, in line with WUSC’s Strategic Framework ;
- Promote synergy between ongoing initiatives within and across countries, including the Uniterra volunteer cooperation program ;
- Facilitate ongoing, two-way communication between Ottawa HQ and country teams ;
- Support consistency in the application of WUSC’s policies and procedures in field offices ;
- Assist in securing registration of WUSC in new countries of operation when required ;
- Regularly monitor the safety and security situation in each country and ensure the establishment, updating and application of safety and security procedures established by WUSC.
3. New Program Development
- Identify relevant institutional funding opportunities for new program initiatives ;
- Build relationships with donors ; identify potential international, Canadian and local partners for new initiatives ;
- Lead the design of new programs, including writing proposals to institutional donors that advance WUSC’s strategic framework.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies :
- Complete fluency, oral and written in English and/or French is preferred. Arabic or Spanish would be an asset ;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master’s degree an asset ;
- Five to ten years of experience in the development and management of projects/programs in the international development sector ;
- Knowledge of and experience international development project management ;
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating and maintaining relationships with Global Affairs Canada and other donors ;
- Superior oral and written communication skills : clear, concise, persuasive writing style ;
- Sound understanding of gender and development issues and commitment to gender equality ;
- Significant knowledge or experience in one or more of the following sectors or programming areas :
o Education (system strengthening, access to education for marginalized populations, education quality improvement)
o Inclusive market development (sustainable livelihoods, vocational training, value chain, market system development)
o Youth programming (youth inclusion, youth economic empowerment)
o Women’s rights and gender equality (gender based violence, women’s economic empowerment, gender mainstreaming) ;
- Strong capacity for strategic analysis and representation, including working with networks and developing partnerships ;
- Excellent administration and organizational skills, including ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously ;
- Proven ability to lead multiple task-orientated teams in a dynamic and constructive fashion ;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacity to work in partnership in a cross-cultural context ;
- Experience in working with volunteers in a development program.
WUSC is a leading Canadian international development organization that works with and through its southern partners to promote sustainable development. Founded in 1957 and currently working in 22 countries worldwide with an annual budget of approximately $35 million dollars, WUSC works towards a world where young people can grow up in safe, secure, supportive environments, where they can learn, work and play a vital role in their community and country’s development. Our internationally recognized programs support youth, women and other marginalized populations, focusing on three thematic areas of education, employment and engagement. Globally, WUSC works with a network of higher education institutions, civil society organizations, private sector partners, professionals, students, volunteers, faculty and community leaders that can be leveraged to support our work.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.