Product Development Specialist - Philippines
Date limite pour postuler : 4 juin 2017
Location : Tacloban, Philippines
Start Date : Jul - Sep 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement : 9 Months
Language Requirements : English
English Reading : Level 5, Writing : Level 5, Speaking : Level 4
Language Scale : http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Product Development Specialist, you will work with the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) who have graduated from the Mentor Micro-Enterprises (Mentor ME) program, a government initiated social entrepreneurship program being piloted in Region 8. You will assess and improve upon the quality, packaging, product descriptions, labeling and design of products for each MSME. Your ability to research and understand market trends, needs and competitor products will be key. For the businesses focused on food production, you will assist them in attaining Philippines Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) certification and nutritional information for their products. You will develop a feasible plan for the training, development, equipment and resources needed as each MSME moves forward with your product development recommendations.
Working with 3 other Cuso International volunteers, you will coach the graduates, review their operations, and help them to implement their business plans. You will assess the learning of the graduates and provide feedback to the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), to scale up the program for national expansion and implementation.
The team of Cuso International volunteers supporting the Mentor ME program will each contribute to the growth and expansion of the MSMEs, to increase the employment, and income for the employees, their families, and their communities. Many of these businesses were established after Typhoon Yolanda destroyed much of the region in 2013.
As a volunteer, you will :
- Review the business improvement plan of each MSME, including their needs, strengths and gaps
- Review current product offerings, including the labeling, packaging and quality for the MSMEs and their competitors
- Support organizational interests in developing new products, innovations or designs based on currently available tools, equipment, techniques and materials
- Support capacity building at the different levels of the organization
Essential Academic Qualifications :
Education in Marketing, Business, or equivalent professional/volunteer experience
Essential Professional Background :
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience in product development, process improvement, marketing and/or business
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to adapt and apply business knowledge and techniques to grass roots organizations
About Our Partner
Department of Trade and Industry
The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is the primary coordinative, promotive, facilitative, and regulatory arm of the Philippine Government with the country’s trade, industry, and investment activities. It is a national government ministry with regional and provincial offices. DTI Leyte provincial office creates programs, training and opportunities to support and strengthen businesses in their communities.
DTI Leyte is piloting the Mentor ME program to support MSMEs scale-up operations and increase their profits. All of the participants have 3 or more employees, and a registered business. The MSME’s focus areas include : 1. processed food (i.e. meat, bakeries, fish industry, wine, etc.) 2. home styles and wearables 3. trading and 4. services i.e. restaurants and tourism.
The Mentor ME program teaches entrepreneurial mind setting, marketing, accounting, product development, operations, financial and HR management, taxation and supply value chain. Each topic is facilitated by successful business professionals. In addition, the participants receive mentoring and support throughout the course as they create their business improvement plans.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.