As world-renowned catalysts of innovative youth development and global exchange solutions, Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI) have come together at this critical time to create EQWIP, a platform to transform the economic trajectory of youth around the world. EQWIP HUBs, our first initiative, brings together a global network of collaborators including : UN-Habitat, TakingITGlobal, the Education Development Centre and the Alberta Council for Global Cooperation to reimagining how young women and men nurture the tangible skills and resources needed to become valued economic players.
EQWIP HUBs are dynamic innovation spaces spanning 17 urban centers across Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal, and Tanzania. Buzzing with collaborative energy, each EQWIP HUB provides a unique platform for young minds – especially women – to build market-relevant skills, gain access to the mentorship, networks, technology and capital to prepare them for meaningful employment, or to launch a new wave of enterprise. Qualified and passionate young Canadians will work in specialized teams to support each EQWIP HUB, fueling cross-cultural innovation, gender responsive programming and peer-to-peer mentorship.
EQWIP HUBs is now inviting applications for our 3 month Global Leader positions starting in January. These are designed for professional young Canadians with three or more years of experience. If you can think analytically and act with tenacity and resilience in complex and sensitive environments, challenge yourself as an EQWIP HUBs Global Leader. As an EQWIP HUBs Global Leader you’ll collaborate in a focused role to increase the capacity for EQWIP HUBs and our partner organizations to serve women, enhance sustainable youth livelihoods, and evaluate data to amplify our impact.
We are seeking Global Leaders for our Gender Advisor roles in Bolivia and Senegal.
- 25-35 years old
- Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident
- Minimum 3 years Experience
LIVING AND WORKING AT EQWIP HUBs
More than just a placement, EQWIP HUBs provides volunteers with… Immersive Living..
Experience the heart of a local community with a homestay family, where you will receive a first-hand experience in local living.
Every EQWIP HUBs volunteer receives international travel and a modest stipend to help cover daily costs including meals, transportation and communication.
Safety is our top priority, and an in-depth orientation, the support of local and Canadian staff, and an extensive medical and security insurance package ensures your health, safety and security on the program.
For detailed information about costs and support provided, please visit this link.
Global Leader - Gender Advisor
Duration : 3 months
Language Requirements : English, Spanish (Bolivia), French (Senegal)
Start Date : January 2016
For volunteers who : have a passion for human rights, gender equality, and empowering young women
Overview : The EQWIP HUBs Gender Advisor will collaborate with the Country Manager and local partners to design and support strategic initiatives that promote gender equality at EQWIP HUBs, local partner organizations and across the EQWIP HUBs Network.
- Contribute a gender lens to the EQWIP HUBs Baseline Study, which will establish the baselines for measuring our impact.
- Compile documentation, data and research which describe and analyze the socio-economic conditions of young women in the country.
- Support the design and delivery of participatory data collection to establish baseline data on the needs, resources and opportunities for young women and sustainable livelihoods in the country.
- Increase capacity for local partners to develop and deliver gender responsive training, services and support to youth
- Contribute to the development of an Action Plan to implement the EQWIP HUBs Gender Equality Strategy
- Review sexual assault/sexual harassment policies and programs from a national and international development context, and develop recommendations for implementing these policies into EQWIP HUBs programming
- Contribute to a data bank of national and local resources that can support the implementation of the EQWIP HUBs Gender Equality Strategy, including service providers, and advocacy groups that focus on sexual harassment and sexual assault
Qualifications and competencies :
- Strong communications skills : checks understanding, does not assume and considers the best method for the particular audience
- Experience with knowledge management : able to bring together information from different sources and use knowledge on an ongoing basis
- Demonstrates tenacity : able to continue to act despite frustrations or obstacles and knows when to let go
- A university graduate with a background/education in gender studies, social work, or other relevant fields
- Experience with or understanding of gender responsive programming
- Ability to collect and collate information from various sources
- Ability to analyze and effectively present findings for reporting purposes
- Experience with coordinating, organizing and supporting the development of products
- Facilitation experience ; comfortable leading participatory activities for young people is considered an asset
- Mentoring / coaching experience is considered an asset
Please keep in mind the following dates :
Application Deadline : January 4, 2016
Interviews : January 5-11, 2016 (Skype or in-person)
Overseas Departure : January 29-30, 2016
End of Placement : April 2016 (placements are 3 months long)
To apply to be an EQWIP HUBs Global Leader, please visit :
Deadline for receipt of applications is Monday, January 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM PT.